West Side Parking Improvement Project
At FenceTech in March of 2019, we humbly accepted the 2018 American Fence Association (AFA) Pro Award for Commercial Multi-Use for our fence work on the Churchill Downs West Side Parking Improvement Project. This is a national award for exceptional execution of the installation and final product of a broad array of fencing styles & products. The 7,272′ of fencing included ornamental & chain link fence, gates, operated gates, and barrier arms.
This project presented several challenges to accompany the usual issues of large scale jobs. This project at iconic Churchill Downs was one of the largest and most visible projects ever completed in Louisville. We had to meet two critical deadlines for the Kentucky Derby and Breeder’s Cup Classic. Making the project more complicated was the need to work around live racing/horse training schedules and other contractors working on this project.
Our scope of work on the Churchill Downs – West Side Parking Improvements included:
- 4,519 linear feet (LF) of steel, ornamental fence (1,183LF of 4′ tall spear top and 3,336LF of 8′ tall spear top arched security fence)
- 16 ornamental gates from several pedestrian gates & double-drive gates (varying from 10′ wide to 40′ wide), 1-30′ wide operated bi-parting track gate, 1-40′ wide operated double track box-gate, and several double track box-gates (2-40′ wide, 1-50′ wide)
- 2,004LF of 8’ black vinyl coated chain link including 7 gates (3-cantilever gates, 1-single gate, & 3-24′ double-drive gates) and 109′ of black PVC privacy slats
- 749LF of 8′ green vinyl-coated chain link fence with green privacy slats to match Churchill Downs’ colors including 3 gates (1-34′ bi-parting cantilever gate, 2-double-drive gates) and a 3’x3′ a custom gate to be floated 2′ off the ground
- 10′ galvanized chain link liquor cage with roof at track kitchen and chain link fence for mechanical pads
- 4 -14’ long operated barrier arm gates